Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bugzilla experience

Watching someone on BUGZILLA is really a weird experience. Not only did my Seneca learn account almost got shut down because of mass of email, i was constantly going back and forth reading about bugs email and trying to understand what is going on. And half the time i had no idea what was going on, it was a really crazy experience.

The person i added in my watch was "Ted" (:luser) and i got tons of email everyday from "bugzilla-daemon@mozilla.org" about commenting and duplicate fixes, but half the time i didn't know which bug they were talking about. The interfaces of BUGZILLA is very buggy and it isn't very effective at information passing. I seriously gave up after couple of tries to decode what was going on. I hope that they can make better interface and structure of dealing with bugs in BUGZILLA or maybe i just didn't get it and have to spend more time in order to grasp the things in BUGZILLA environment.

Does anyone else thinks its effective and not buggy or is it only me that is getting hard time understanding this thing?

2 comments:

Ted Mielczarek said...

Yeah, it's not easy to get into, and I do get a fair amount of bugmail. A few things to keep in mind:
1) I'm in front of the computer for at least 8 hours a day, so I don't get it in giant bunches, I get it in smaller continuous bunches, which are a lot easier to handle.
2) I use GMail for my bugmail (as do lots of other Mozilla hackers), and it groups mail together by bug, so my inbox just looks like a list of bugs that have been updated.
3) I don't always read it all! If there's a bug that I don't really care about, but I'm getting mail about anyway (because I'm watching someone else who's CCed or whatever), I just mark it as read and archive it.

AJ Rehman said...

Wow, that is a full-time job indeed, sitting in front of computer for 8 hours and fixing bug. So what is the average rate at which the bugs gets fixed? Like do you at least fix one bug per day or how does it work, just curious?

Yeah, i think i will use GMAIL as well for bug watching rather than my learn account because that was a terrible mistake and the sorting mail system isn't too impressive at learn account, hence GMAIL transfer.